Tuesday, September 13, 2011

21:11

21:11 is a rather interesting number. If you convert that into post meridiem, that translates into 9:11 p.m. If you convert that into a touch keypad, it translates into the police number. If you convert that into the calendar year, it translates into 9/11. If you convert that into mathematical terms, you get 0.8182. If you convert that into currency, you get 0.8182 New Zealand dollars per American dollar. I have a thing where I almost always see 9:11 on the clock, day or night. Who knows what that means. It started ever since as long as I remembered Sept. 11 happening.

Anywho, we all know what happened on Sept. 11, 2001. I remember the day I was in my 5th grade my class. People were just talking. That tragedy had struck. I had no clue what was going on. I learned a new vocab word "Terrorism", so I felt terrified, not knowing why I felt terrified. Almost every student was picked up by their parents. Clueless as I was, I was pretty sad that I could no longer go to New York the following... semester? That's all I remember actually. Pretty jagged thoughts they are, but I was so young.. I was 10! I just knew I was sad and pretty amazed by what had happened.

All I am glad is that nothing happened this year on the very same day. We heard of 10th anniversary threats.. thank God that did not happen. Given the high level of American security, I am able to live my life peacefully and without concern that we will be targeted successfully by another act of terrorism. I guess it is another aspect of the American way of life. Some may have been shaking, but I was confident that we were in safe hands. Let's just say that I am thankful to be here, and for everyone who serves and has an impact on our country. What a nation we have become.

With that, I had a great weekend. Friday and Saturday were designated study days, so I didn't do much other than study and buy groceries and exercise and cook delicious food. Saturday was the first day I did not exercise whatsoever! Too bad I broke my record, I will make up for that. Sunday was a good day. I got a knock on my door around 1:21pm while I was munching on a Tuna sandwich and found two members of Student Foundation at my door with a shirt and invitation in hand for dinner and activities at 5:30.

So let me explain what that is first of all. It is pretty much an organization that is focused on students serving students. StuFu raises scholarships and gives them away to those who need it (through an application process I believe). There are three different committees: Student Recruitment, Campus Promotions, and Alumni Relations. They are all pretty self-explanatory. SR go around Texas college fairs and promote Baylor. CP plan events on campus, such as Bearathon, Freshman Follies, and Fall Festival. AR travel to visit alumni and keep the connection with them and Baylor.

I guess this part is a spoiler if anyone is planning to apply to StuFu in the near future... so I won't say much. It is supposed to leave you clueless and full of anticipation!

Basically we find out what committee we get in and we have dinner. I got into AR, which I am glad I did now that I rethink about it (I applied for CP initially). I heard that AR is a lot of work but it is a lot more rewarding. You get to meet up with successful business people, perhaps CEO's and big names, and can form a lot of connections. That sound's good to me! I thought that you had to be in CP to help with the StuFu events on campus (which I want to do too), but every committee has to help anyway, so I get the best of both worlds! I can't wait to get into the real deal and start working. I will serve my heart out, as nasty as that sounds.

Then Monday rolls around. It really started after about 5:04pm when I ran into a friend after the gym from AFC, who is on the girls volleyball team. She informed me of a game that night at 5:30, so I stayed at the gym for that. AFC girls beat ISSA! And we had me and one other guy cheering the girls on. Then I run into another girl from AFC/Taekwondo and she tells me of an ASA meeting, so I go to that. But the real slice of pie was at the Latin Dance Society. I brushed up on my basic salsa skills and shook my booty all night long. That was fun and I am going to see if I have time to join their performance group this year, and if not, I hope to just learn a lot and know more than just the basics!


Well, that is all for now. I think it is gym time and volleyball practice time. I can't wait till flag football season; you can find me playing with StuFu! I'll work on conditioning for that. Until next time, cheers to another wonderful week of wisdom!

-KT

No comments:

Post a Comment