Thursday, September 22, 2011

how to not compete

Oh daddy it has been ages since I have written, this week was busy as a bee. Lots of things happened but the thing that just happened kinda pissed me off... here is a super short story about how to not compete in a competition.

Today was our last volleyball game and our record going in was not too hot, 1-2, and we got that one win because that team did not show up, so we really didn't win at all now did we? Sadly, we were a player short (I was about to not come either due to other business but I decided to show up) but we played great overall. We played Kokernaut today and we dominate the first set (and I finally learned how to serve and got like 6 aces...) it was like 25-22 or so. Then second set comes around, we are down 15-8, but then we come back and it is 24-18. I pretty much aced them a lot again, but then they got the point on our game point, and I hear the two Daniel's (we have two on our team) talk to each other and were like, hey let's play another round and go to the third match. Ok I paused. I am like "what the heck" in my head. You don't compete and decide to lose on purpose to prolong it. If you were to do that, why join the competition? You would rather ask a friend to hit the ball with you... anyway they let about 3 balls drop in between them and I am just shaking my head. then it was like 24-22 and they said ok we will play for real, but we ended up losing that second match. I had bad feelings about the third match (and a morale drop as well due to lack of confidence and spirit), and we got owned third match, about 15-8. Not good. I left the game not happy. I know it is for fun and all, but there is a limit to how much fun you can have. When was the last time you sat down and took an exam and told yourself, you know what, I will fail this test on purpose so I can fail the course and re take it again because I love this class/teacher. That's right, you don't. If you love it so much, become a TA or visit your teacher during office hours, or be like me and start hanging out with your teacher outside of the classroom! Fun all around with no repercussions. This is the first time I have encountered such a problem, and now I know I am not a negative type of guy. You can't make negative remarks and expect me to function like normal. That is why sports teams have a crowd that cheers them on. If your home team crowd boo's you and tells you that you suck and should invest your talents elsewhere, of course you will perform negatively (unless you are a true professional and can block that out). Our volleyball team was doing well (even with one man down) yet our attitude was not there to secure sweet victory.

I am not mad because we lost, I am mad because of why we lost. If we lost because we got out played, then good game for real. If we lost because we simply did not try, then not good game. Of course I lied to them and high fived them saying good game. It was fun enough, but its not my kind of fun to play in such a negative environment. Hopefully that wont happen again. I will be playing flag football with Student Foundation, and I am sure there will not be negativity in that organization since we are all about being upbeat and positive :)

Speaking of StuFu I found out my partner and all! She seems cool and I had her on my request list. We will be travelling to Houston for our appointments, so I am excited about that. She is from Amarillo so I would be directing us the best I can haha. I got to chalk for them for the first time ever, and that was fun as well. It seems like you do everything in partners in this org.. which is interesting. I guess that is why it is so much fun since you meet great new people!

Last week me and some taekwondo kids wanted to go to the Baylor vs. SFA game, and we drove there. Big mistake, there was no parking and the only "parking" left was very far in a lawn that costed $10, unless you had a valid parking decal. So Natalie drives up and this ROTC dude goes like "Parking is $10 dollars. You don't have a valid decal and you know you don't. Don't try to trick me." Natalie was like... umm what? I think all she asked was if apartment decal was okay since it was on campus and he went into a fury. And we basically went to Walmart instead and have a Korean drama night. That fool was a troll. Kids these days....

I haven't worked out for the past 2 days, which is a new record for me this year. When I say work out I mean any physical activity. I was bummed. But after todays volleyball I kicked myself and worked out some of my legs like the incredible hulk would do. Tomorrow is arm day just like Mr. T would do. Arm's is my favorite day.

I think I am glad with my blog because I don't think I have used a cuss word yet... if I want to I replace it with a mild word. Such as detergent and soap, they are replaceable and one is more specific than the other. Or interesting and weird. Yup go me. Until next time, and until a bear befriends an owl (Baylor vs Rice this weekend, we will win). Sic em!

-KT

2 comments:

  1. You understand the point of view of the two Daniels though right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah they just wanted to play more. Earlier our team agreed that we will win at least one game though, so I am not sure why they decided to think like that during the game.. albeit a very close one. I suggested we offer to play them again for fun after the game but they still did what they did.

    ReplyDelete