Thursday, September 1, 2011

competitive fun

Remember when I said that you can find me playing intramurals? Well I don't think any of you guys found me =p but I have been playing frisbee and volleyball for Asians for Christ (AFC). It was my first time ever playing in anything semi-competitive at all. Here is what happened in each game:

Monday 8pm, frisbee match vs. KOT A. (I think its kappa omega tao? "A" team denotes their best players, they had a B and C team as well).

Ok so this was a horrible match for us. We were 8 asians strong, while the other team had about 13 guys, averaging about 6ft tall, so we had one sub and a huge height disadvantage. They ran us up and down the field and scored as easy as stealing candy from an new born baby (they shouldn't be eating candy anyway). We tried man, zone, and no defense and we pretty much failed at all of those. Final score was 17-1.. we were so proud when we scored a point! And their team got a bit angry that we scored it. I guess they wanted a perfect game. I have no earthly idea why we were in the same division, but apparently not enough teams signed up so there was only one this year.. so we had to play against frats and hard core competitive players. I had fun though, I was surprised that I was not THAT exhausted. I could have played another game. I sprinted about 40% of the time and felt like I tried my very best. I think I really am a werewolf because I come alive at night and it seems like I am stronger than during the day. Just please don't let Baylor administers know because ... I don't wanna be expelled. Actually it is probably the lack of sun :)

Tuesday 8pm, frisbee match vs. TKE (tao kappa epsilon I guess).

I quickly glance at their players (they have 7, so did we, so perfect) and told one of my teammates, "We got this, they look easier than the other team" and he replied "Yeah, a little bit easier". So we play the game and after I witnessed the first throw by their team, I could tell they were pretty inexperienced. Lo and behold my senses were true (werewolf much?) and we stomped all over them, 20-2. There was much parallelism; we scored 10 and they scored 1 both halves. That is called consistency . It really upped our morale from the previous game. We played as a team and saw that we had good potential in the casual realm, and against people our size. At the end of the game, tke asked us to take a picture with monster energy drinks (advertising much?) and offered them to us and we were like "nah, water works for us". I think energy drinks dehydrate you, and they had that right before the game. Big no no! Maybe that is why they got tired very quickly. All of a sudden they stopped running, just like flies stop flying when they buzz into the blue light. Oh yeah, I also got kicked when I was trying to throw the frisbee.. my ring finger is now bruised but it is healing nicely as of now. I had to play more sports on it... but I don't mind.

Wednesday 5pm, volleyball vs. ZZZ (zeta zigga zamma or something cool).

I never played volleyball before for real. This was my first time and we didn't do too bad. Our team needs to work on the 3 hits over thing. We always used only 2.. and crashed into each other frequently due to lack of calling, or just let the ball drop in between two people because the other two thought that the other would get it. Lack of communication. We lost both halves. It was like 25-18 and 25-12 I think. We really slipped last game. I really didn't do much because the ball didn't come to me often, but maybe that is how volleyball is. I had fun though, and can't wait to play the 3 other games. (I think frisbee is over.. which is lame because we only played 2 games!).

Wednesday 9pm, racquetball vs Scott Spinks (my former Spanish teacher). this was for fun, non intramurals.

So I had a man date with my ex professor. Weird phrasing, but that is intentional. We decided to play racquetball and I find out that he is quite good at it, and has good experience with the game. I was a little scared when he went on a 4-0 run on me, but then I came back with an 8-0 run, making that 8-4. Then we traded points, and I final score was probably like 15-6(or 8) or so. Second game, he goes on a 5-0 run on me, and I fail miserably, getting hit by his serves. I think I was lacking water, since we talked and walked for 30 minutes beforehand (all the courts were full) and I did not take a sip of water (just like Waco has not taken any drops of rain lately). But that is no excuse, I got owned and final score was 15-6. We are probably going to play again sometime to see who really is the better player! Haha we are so competitive.

All in all, I got the competitive side out of me and I like playing sports competitively. I have fun no matter win or lose, bruise or no bruise (I plan to lift weights tonight with it still hurting, so hopefully that goes well too). It also gives me a good cardio workout, so in essence, I never lose (or actually, I do lose fat).

Ok well that is that. I hope Labor Day weekend goes well for all! Try not to defy the holiday and start frantically starting on homework that is due on Tuesday. Give your self some elbow room!

-KT




No comments:

Post a Comment