Sunday, June 19, 2011

how to bike and how to trim down

And yes I did really go 160 mph at one point...

bike hao jenny doug mishi by dallcingi at Garmin Connect - Details

Today we did a little bike ride to the zoo and to the medical center. I pretty much worked myself out when I was not with the pack. I dunno where the 160mph top speed came from but its probably more like 25mph or so. Yeah fun ride! I could not stay for swimming or dinner because I have to finish my unwritten essay. As of now I only have about 300 more words to write, so that should be simple. Maybe I can copy and paste this post into my essay and just be done with it!

How to bike:

I ask many friends if they know how to bike. Almost all of them say yes! But do they really know how to properly use a bike? Most of them don't. If you are not a bike enthusiast, you probably do not own a single speed, and therefore probably ride your bike like it is one. That is not how you ride a bike, that is how you hurt yourself. Here is a true guide on how to ride a bike (I am not responsible for any injuries or deaths, just the life saving moments):

1. Know how to work your gears and make sure that your brakes work and are not rubbing.
2. Make sure your chain is lubricated and running smoothly.
3. Wear a helmet and attach lights if you ride at night. Head and tail lights.
4. Obey traffic laws, police can stop you too. You are a vehicle, so that means no texting. You can, however, ride without your seatbelt on.
5. When you pedal, do not simply use your quads and hammer down, make sure you use your hamstring and calves to bring up the other leg that is at the bottom of the rotation. Clipless pedals and shoes help a lot, and you use less energy and go faster. WOW.
6. Left gear changes the front chain ring, right gears change the rear derailur. Bigger ring is harder to pedal as it provides greater resistance.
7. Start out on a low gear, and gradually increase as speed and cadence (rotations per minute) increase. Think of it like a car.
8. For an optimal cardio, fat burning workout, keep cadence above 90
9. Bring water, especially in the summer. Wear eye protection as I always get bugs in my face. They taste pretty good too. Great source of protein.
10. Bring your wallet and some cash and your phone in case you need anything. Spare equipment such as tire tubes and tire removers and micropumps help too.

That's the basics! Now you know how to bike! There are many more advanced techniques about cycling but that's all you need to know to step up from casual biking to biking for fitness/ a good workout.

p.s walmart bikes are not real bikes. They are toys. I use my walmart bike to do dangerous things (ie jump off ledges, hop onto curbs, wheelies). Real bikes are bought at bike shops or from other owners.


How to trim down:

This is a guide to help you shed some of those pounds that you don't need. It is what I did in a matter of weeks. If I can do it, so can you! As of now I weigh about 158 and still have lots of energy. That is a huge difference since the start of my summer. Even my mom stops complaining and starts complementing my beauty. Well moms are always right, what can I say? And you don't have to be obsese or overweight or fat, because I was not any of those. I was just me, and I am still me. Well even if I were fat I would still be me so that's a moot point. Okay I will cut the crap (get the pun? LOL I DO!) and get straight to it. (Disclaimer: do not overdo yourself, and results may vary from person to person.)

1. You are what you eat so you better watch it. (I ate pizza twice in a row and now I look like a pizza).
2. Green is good. Red is bad. Green - veggies Red - red meat.
3. Exercise is golden. You also need some vitamin D so you do not appear ghastly. So work out out doors when there is some sun (just not too much! You should get at least 15 min in the sun each day, but don't over do it) Aim for cardio for trimming down. Run, power walk, cycle, swim. Pylometrics is also an option.
4. Do interval training. You need to get your heart rate skyrocketing. In my cycle link up there, mine fluctuates a lot. My max rate is... uh 200. Take 220 minus your age to determine yours. I am close to hitting it, I saw 187 at one point. I suggest you not hit your max... Unless you wanna die. At least it would be a natural death haha. Okay sorry I laughed about death... it's not a laughing matter.
5. Eat lots of meals that contain few calories. 5 is a good number.
6. Eat less fats, starch and carbs. Eat lean protein. If you do that, any fats starches and carbs that is incorporated in what you did not avoid will suffice. Example: My mom makes me brown rice for dinner every night, so I avoid eating carbs during the day when I feed myself and just eat the carbs she gives me. If you plan to do a lot of cardio, then eat some carbs a day ahead to load up since you will need the energy. 
7. Drink water before a bigger meal. It makes you feel full so you wont eat as much. You would therefore not tend to over eat as much.
8. Percieve when you will feel full. By the time you feel it and you are still eating, its way too late and get the pepto or tums ready.
9. Get sleep. Your body needs rest, especially if you are exercising hard like I am suggesting.
10. Do not follow diets or read glamour or fantasize about skinny girls (guys that applies to you too....). They wont work. You need to be committed for life. If you treat it as a goal, you will probably stop it and you will gain everything back. Treat it as a lifestyle. It will benefit you in the long run when you live long and healthy.

That is how you do it! Well that is how I do it.. and it works for me. Hopefully its not cause I am Asian though. And perhaps some things are just genetic. IE if you can't whistle, you cant whistle. Same goes with rolling your tongue and your R's. I can not roll my R's. Yikes! Yet people still understand my Spanish :)

So next time you pick up a food item, ask yourself "How will this benefit my body?" If it is a cheeseburger, obviously it wont benefit your body, it will just satiate your taste buds. Make every food count and don't lay it to waste. Almost everyone is guilty of reckless eating. I already broke that rule by eating salad with a lot of dressing and eating Cici's pizza twice in a row... but hey don't follow everything to a T! As my friend Bethany once texted me "Everything in moderation" (or something along those lines when I told her I was doing something too much, probably eating), and that holds true for this and probably everything in life. I actually take that to heart now and see that it is very true. Thanks Bethany for telling me that! For example, Too much exercise = body wont recover and muscles wont grow, Too much sleep = fat and lazy, Too much food = fat and lazy. Too much study = no social life, too much social life = too little study. Too much water = you will drown yourself. Yeah, you get the picture, so go out there and find that perfect balance for you!

Back to essay work... I work best while under pressure so lets bring it on! I got lots of stories to tell you guys later. Until that time comes.... whenever that may be.

-KT



No comments:

Post a Comment