Monday, June 20, 2011

how to save gas

This one is pretty straight forward.
1. Eat plenty of fiber, this includes beans and legumes and fiber one cereal.
2. Go to the restroom right when you wake up.
3. Let it out when ever your heart desires.

Wait, sorry before I list 7 more things I have to say I was listing the wrong items. I was thinking about another type of gas.

How to save gasoline
1. Weight matters. Clean out that trunk. If you have roadside assistance service, might as well take out that spare tire and everything else that adds weight. If you live in California, just take out the A/C, you wont need it. That does not mean you should diet just to save gas though. Also take out all of that old McDonalds fries and those school supplies in the back seat. That gives your car a bad staunch and your passengers will probably find a different ride next time (if that is your goal, keep it up then, at the expense of wasting more gas).
2. Anticipate red lights, if you see a red, just let off the pedal. Let the haters pass you, and hate you even more when you coast right up to them and nod your head "sup, I used less gas to get where you are right now."
3. Braking often = losing more gas, not physically but theoretically. That means you over gassed and just wasted it. Example, you rev up to 6k rpm (haha dont look at me) and then suddenly quickly brake because you can not pass a red light. Well there goes some gas whereas you coulda saved it. That adds up over time if that is your driving style (hey stop looking at me).
4. Know the feel for your gearbox, if you have an auto. If you have a manual, keep rpms low and gears high, as permitted. For an auto, well for my auto, my sweet speed is about 38mph. That is when I am in 5th gear and that is when my rpm is a mere 1-1.5k (I think... either its 1k or 1.5k) so that is when I am saving the most gas.
5. Do not over gas for any particular reason. If you are running late to some appointment, driving faster will save you anywhere from 1-3 minutes, depending on the distance, and often times even less. If you are talking about racing across the country though, that is a different story. This is not a time trial.
6. This is a myth, but I feel like having the A/C on uses up gas while you drive. I like to open windows if permissible. Plus it feels nice
7. On the highway, do not open the window too much, as the wind drag will actually slow the car down. It is like a parachute with out the chute. That makes it a para... pair of... something.. so just keep a tiny crack open or turn on the A/C if needed.
8. Buy smaller tires that will fit your rim. This actually also saves your odometer (the trip meter idk what it is called actually) so your car will depreciate in value slower, unless your car is already old like mine is. This is less weight and you also achieve more rpm. Actually I am not sure if that is true.... but the lighter weight will help.
9. Carry less people. If you want, charge people that tag along with you, even your best friend. After you drop them off, just ask for $.10 per mile you drove them.
10. Buy a sedan with at least 33mpg.

Okay well I am tired now. I finished my essay this morning (all I had to do is shove some quotes and make it fit) so I think I will take a little slumber. I think these lists ensue from my laziness to type out what really matters most: my lovely life stories. Perhaps tonight I shall update yall. I hope you enjoy my random advice that might be useful when you start driving! Until then.

-KT

No comments:

Post a Comment